Make tax-deductible donations through PayPal – it’s fast, free and secure!
PayPal account NOT required
Make tax-deductible donations by check!
Make your check payable to: Literacy Volunteers Association Cape-Atlantic, Inc. and mail it to:
LVA Cape-Atlantic, Inc.
743 N. Main St.
Pleasantville, NJ 08232
The Numbers Don’t Lie. Low literacy is a global crisis that affects all of us. That’s why it’s so important to understand the issues and confront the facts head on. Only then can we can stand together to fight for change. U.S. FACTS:
- 1 in 6 adults in NJ are illiterate
- Literacy is learned – the single greatest indicator of a child’s future success is the literacy level of the parents
- Two-thirds of children that cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare
- More than 60% of all prison inmates are functionally illiterate
- 75% of food stamp recipients perform in the lowest 2 literacy levels
- 43% of adults with the lowest literacy live in poverty
- Low health literacy costs between $106 and $236 billion each year in the US.
Illiteracy costs the United States billions a year in lost productivity. It is tied to unemployment, crime, poverty, and family problems.
Adults need strong literacy skills to…
- Raise children that have strong literacy skills
- To be good employees
- To keep themselves and their families healthy
- To be active in their communities
- To advocate for themselves and avoid human rights abuse
- And to avoid crime.
Adults Over 16…
- 14% read at or below a fifth grade level
- 29% only read at an eighth grade level
- Among those with the lowest literacy rates 43% live in poverty
- See more at: Proliteracy.org/