Volunteer to “Change Lives Beyond Words”
Education is the ultimate opportunity equalizer. Unfortunately, one in five adults reads, writes, or speaks English below the 6th grade level. Literacy Volunteers Cape-Atlantic offers the path to the education many adults may have missed. Join our volunteers in advancing the cause of adult literacy education. Whether it’s Basic Skills or English as a Second Language, Literacy Volunteers are changing lives beyond words.
What does a Literacy Volunteer tutor do? LVACA Tutor, Susan Lang, shares her tutoring experience
- Prepare for and teach a small group of assigned adult Basic Skills or English as a Second Language students.
- In addition to basic literacy, tutors may also teach health, financial, civic, numeric, and/or workplace literacy.
- Schedule tutoring sessions at a place, time, and location convenient to both the tutor and the students.
- Report instructional hours and status of student goals to the LVA office.
Who Can Be a Literacy Tutor?
- Tutors are adults age 18 and over with a minimum of a high school equivalency. You do not need to be a certified teacher to become a literacy volunteer.
- Tutors possess a good command of the English Language and are dedicated to the advancement of adult literacy.
- Tutors support LVA’s mission through our functions and continuing education.
How do I become a certified as a literacy?
- Complete LVACA’s 15 hour pre-service training. Upon completion, you will be a Certified Tutor by Literacy Volunteers Cape-Atlantic.
- Volunteer literacy tutors are thoroughly trained and well supported by our professional staff.
- Make a minimum one year commitment to tutor in a public place in Atlantic or Cape May County for a minimum of two hours each week.
How to Register
- Print the Registration form and mail to: LVA, 743 N. Main Street, Pleasantville, NJ 08232
- Note: A $30.00 fee is charged to partially cover the cost of training materials. Checks should be made payable to “Literacy Volunteers Association” on or before the first workshop. Payment may also be made by PayPal.
Next Scheduled Tutor Training Workshop:
Due to the our upcoming merger with Literacy NJ, no Tutor Training Workshop will be held before July 1, 2018.
If you are a trained ESL or Basic Skills tutor/teacher, and wish to become an LVACA tutor, please call us at 609-383-3377 or e-mail at Literacyvolunteers@comcast.net.