Volunteer to “Change Lives Beyond Words”
Education is the ultimate opportunity equalizer. Unfortunately, one in five adults reads, writes, or speaks English below the 6th grade level. That’s where Literacy Volunteers Cape-Atlantic comes in as a second chance path to the education many adults may have missed. Join our volunteers in advancing the cause of adult literacy education. Whether it’s reading, writing, or learning to speak English, Literacy Volunteers are changing lives beyond words.
What does a Literacy Volunteer tutor do? LVACA Tutor, Susan Lang, shares her tutoring experience
- Tutors work with a small group of assigned students to teach Basic Skills, reading and writing, or English as a Second Language.
- In addition, tutors may teach health, financial, civic, numeric, and/or workplace literacy.
- Tutoring takes place at a time and location convenient to both the tutor and the students throughout Atlantic and Cape May Counties
Who Can Be a Literacy Tutor?
- You do not have to be a certified teacher or bilingual to be a literacy tutor.
- Anyone over 18 with high school equivalency is welcome.
- We are looking for people with a good command of the English Language and who are dedicated to the advancement of adult literacy.
- As a volunteer literacy tutor, you will be thoroughly trained and well supported by our professional staff.
To become certified as a literacy tutor, you must:
- Complete our 15 hour pre-service training. Upon completion, you will be a Certified Tutor by Literacy Volunteers Cape-Atlantic.
- Commit to tutoring in a public place in Atlantic or Cape May County for a minimum of two hours each week, and or a minimum of one year.
- Prepare for your tutoring sessions.
- Support LVA’s mission through our functions and continuing
How to Register
- Print the Registration form and mail to: LVA, 743 N. Main Street, Pleasantville, NJ 08232
- Note: A $30.00 fee is charged to partially cover the cost of training materials. Checks should be made payable to “Literacy Volunteers Association” on or before the first workshop or pay by PayPal.
Next Scheduled Tutor Training Workshop:
Location: ACUA – Atlantic County Utilities Authority, 6700 Delilah Rd, Egg Harbor Township
Dates: Monday 7/10, Thursday 7/13, Monday 7/17, Thursday 7/20, and Monday 7/24/17
Time: 6:00 – 9:00 PM